In order to cope with business growth and maintain system functionality, usability and scalability, The customer decides to upgrade the system and enhances the systems to a supported version. Oracle E-Business Suites & Database support have been expired. In order to cope with business growth and maintain system functionality, usability and scalability, The customer decides to upgrade the system and enhances the systems to a supported version. It provide users a more efficient and sophisticated operation with the system.The customer is planning to upgrade its Oracle E-Business Suite financial system from 12.1.3 to 12.2.11, with the Oracle Database upgraded to 19c already.
Oracle E-Business Suite has evolved over time, and Oracle’s commitment to customers, this suite of applications, and creating best-in-class products remains steadfast. The Oracle E-Business Suite product has expanded significantly in functionality, scalability, usability, and reduced cost of ownership over the past few releases, including dramatic leaps with the recent Oracle E-Business Suite Release
· Release 12.0 – January 2007:
Major architectural improvements to the Financials products to support global and shared service operations, improve operational efficiencies, and reduce risk.
· Release 12.1 – May 2009:
Significant enhancements to all of the product areas, including Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Asset Lifecycle and Service, and Human Capital Management. It also includes usability improvements and centralized life cycle management.
· Release 12.2 – September 2013
· EBS 12.2 represents our most-groundbreaking release in years (Press Release). It includes new product functionality, new Fusion Middleware and database components, and introduces new tools for installing, configuring, and maintaining E-Business Suite environments:
- Hundreds of new features
- Online Patching
- WebLogic Server
- Streamlined installation
You can upgrade directly to EBS R12.2 from the following base versions:
· EBS 11i
· EBS 12.0
· EBS 12.1
Upgrade High-level Steps
Preparation (Lay Down 12c & R12.2) no downtime
· Plan & Prepare for Upgrade – We need to plan and also document all the issues reportedso that during the Final-Production upgrade downtime can be minimal. We needto plan and check all the intermediate versions are supported if not operational. That is the key point during planning.
· Prepare forUpgrade– This phase starts afterthe planning phase and includes Database and Application preparation for upgrade activity. This is the main upgrade phase where we perform allthe upgrade activities
Apply Latest CUP+other performance patches – no downtime
Online Clone Database + Upgrade to 12c
· Database Upgrade – Select the latest version for the database. If 11g database, consider for 22.214.171.124 versionor you can plan for 12c versions too. Also, apply the latest Consolidate patches as per the database versions. On the application side, we need to be on the Minimum baseline patchesas per the Oracle recommendations.
· File System Lay down- As weknow R12.2 comes with the latest technology and file-system, so we needto lay down the R12.2 file-system using the latest startCD. Currently,StartCD 51 is available.
Upgrade to 12.2.0- We need to first upgrade to 12.2.0 and need to apply AD and TXK patches on the 12.2 filesystems. As this is the intermediate stage we need toperform it as a pre-install activity. At this stage, the Application will not be operational.
Upgrade further to 12.2.X- We are at 12.2 withthe latest database now. Now on the application side, we can come to the latest version (12.2.10 Currently). We need to apply the latest technology patches (Delta 12 till now) and EBS RUP patches after that.
· Middle Tier patches -> 1594274.1
· AD-TXK RUP patches -> 1617461.1
EBS R12.2.X Document -> 12.2.9 or 12.2.10
· All the post-upgrade patches and steps
Enable Online Patching – As you know new feature of R12.2 is online patching so we need to enable our old instance for the same. (MOS ID: 1531121.1)
Deploy Customization & External Integration
· Translations – In the case of multiple languages are there then we need to take care of Translation patches as well. 12.2and then 12.2.X translated patches and also we needto apply TSP (Translation Sync Patches).
· Customization – Once standard/seeded codeis at R12.2.X level we need to take care ofthe customizationsin our old versions. For R12.2 we have new development standards and need to follow the same to get the custom code compliant with our applications.
· Check the Sizing’s
· Add Nodes for Horizontal Scale-up
· Add Managed Servers for Vertical Scale-up
After the successful upgrade of your base version R12.0 to the version R12.2 orR12.2.x, we need to perform post-upgrade tasks which ensures the stability of thesystem and it includes:
· Minimize Downtime: MOS ID 1581549.1 Best Practices for Minimizing Oracle E- Business Suite Release 12 Upgrade Downtime
· Best Practices & Performance: MOS ID 1581549.1 Best Practices for Minimizing Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 Upgrade Downtime
· Troubleshooting & Logs
Oracle has announced on March 2021, they are following a “Continuous Innovation” release model for Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2, delivering ongoing applications and underlying technology stack updates for 12.2 without requiring a major upgrade. As well, 12.2 is the long-term support release for Oracle E-Business Suite, with Premier Support for 12.2 available through at least 2032, and there will be no 12.3 release. https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/support/advanced-customer-support/support-for-e-business-suite.pdf
Latest version: 12.2.12 release date: 23-12-2021
Application software support and maintenance (EBS)
Historical frequencies for Oracle E-Business Suite major upgrades
Contents for each release are based on bugs and enhancement requests logged by both existing customers (as part of their support provisions) and internal Oracle professionals. Oracle also has multiple user communities whereby representative customers from each major industry / business area will offer valuable suggestions for improvements in the application functionalities. Oracle takes feedback from our customers seriously when planning for each upgrade release. Each client is free to perform upgrade any time as they prefer based on their current needs and business requirements --- Oracle will NOT force our clients to perform upgrades just for the sake of it. Delivery method for future upgrades will be via Oracle Metalink requests or through Oracle Support.
Oracle Database Product Life Cycle Suppor:
19c & 21c Long Term & Innovation Releases:
Oracle Database 19c
o long term release version
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure is an IaaS platform for building and running applications such as E-Business Suite. OCI lets you use the computing, network, and storage capabilities of Oracle Cloud on a subscription basis, increasing automation, speed, and agility while minimizing the cost of hardware and routine maintenance.
OCI provides an infinite amount of capacity that automatically scales up and down. This provides increased performance, improved security, and reduced TCO. With OCI, Oracle manages an all-Oracle stack that includes hardware, database, and applications, which improves overall lifecycle management.
(Latest technology from Oracle on EBS)
Running Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) on Oracle Cloud enables you to:
• Increase business agility
• Better manage growth
• Reduce time and cost for new projects
• Maximize the productivity of your IT staff
You can utilize Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) and its associated database cloud services, or alternatively leverage Exadata Cloud at Customer in your own data center, to run your EBS workloads.
E-Business Suite reference architecture on OCI
Copyright © 2023 Tong Sheng Information Technology Ltd. - All Rights Reserved